Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Duck



The Duck
By Jane Goodall

A duck that flew across the sun
Flew on past me,
Winging his solitary way
Towards the sea.

I saw the brightness of his eye
So close he flew;
His feathers in the sunset gleamed
With lustrous hue.

I heard the music of his wings,
The song of flight
Stirring the stillness of a world
Awaiting night.

I sensed the warm life in his breast
So close to me 
And in my heart the pain of joy
That such could be.

The lovely dunes; the setting sun;
The duck--and I;
One spirit, moving timelessly
Beneath the sky.

This is a poem written by one of the people I admire the most: Jane Goodall. She evidently combines in the poem her love for the natural world, and her reflective interest in spiritual topics. I like this poem because it effectively reflects her then growing awareness of the incontrovertible unity of the diversity of life on the planet (as this was written at a time when her beliefs had been frequently evolving). She tries to capture here the feeling of being one with the rest of life, and reflects on whether our species has the right to dominate the rest of nature only because of our capacity to do so. I believe in the message that there is value in all life.

No comments: