Monday, November 29, 2010

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Came across this quote. Can't really recall when where or from whom i first read this.

Fairly straightforward, right? 

And the message. 

Strikingly simple.

A minute fragment of insight bereft of the appreciation it justifiably deserves, yet warmly embraced by the familiar human soul.

It just caught my attention since I feel it aptly describes the situation I incontrovertibly find myself in: I'm badly missing someone :>

Anyway, the quote means that the lack of something increases the desire for it. In the context of lovers, the time one spends away from his loved one, makes him love that person even more.

An early form of the same saying is provided by the Roman poet Sextus Propertius in Elegies:
Always toward absent lovers love's tide stronger flows.
And a more contemporary version appears in a piece written by Miss Stickland in The Pocket Magazine of Classic and Polite Literature on 1832:
'Tis absence, however, that makes the heart grow fonder.

-sigh-

I've great difficulty keeping myself from thinking about you, or whether we'd see each other...

Your absence unbearably heightens my already painful longing for your company...

No comments: